As a parent, it’s likely one of your primary goals is to involve your kids in activities they’ll enjoy. Of course, many of the pastimes you’d like to participate in as a family ends up costing money, and when you’re on a budget, you will want to save money wherever you can.
The good thing, however, is that there are always activities that will enable your family to have fun without breaking the bank. Be creative with family fun and consider some of these free and fun family activities!
7 FUN FREE Kid Activities
1. Go to the park. Whether it’s a few minutes or a few miles away, the nearest park is a great place to have free family fun. Pack all the toys and playthings that you and your kids will enjoy using outdoors. These could include kites, Frisbees, balls and badminton sets.
• Put together some easy-to-prepare treats or go all out by taking along the grill. Your family will certainly enjoy chicken salad sandwiches or grilled hot dogs and burgers.
• Remember to take along your favorite music so all your family fun can be had to the backdrop of your favorite song selections.
2. Plan a backyard camp out. Make it a date with your kids to have an official camp out right in your own backyard. This is a fun way to simulate a true camping experience.
• Borrow your neighbor’s tent or rent one. Equip it with sleeping bags, lanterns and mosquito repellant to get the real feel of the outdoors.
• Set up a dirt-filled pit for starting a campfire. Be sure to keep it controlled, so there are no issues with spreading flames. You and your family can roast marshmallows while telling scary stories around the fire! Make all your meals on the campfire or use your outdoor grill.
3. Enjoy a beach trip. In most cases, sun, sand, and sea are free of charge (you may have to pay for parking). Pack snacks or meals so you won’t have the expense of stopping at a restaurant for lunch.
• Be sure to take beach toys like floats and beach balls so you can capitalize on every element of the beachfront.
• Remember your camera to capture moments like your kids doing handstands in the water or your family making its largest sandcastle to date!
4. Plan a movie night. There’s no reason to leave home for movie night once you have a TV, warm blankets and lots of popcorn. Create the ambiance you want by having everything available that the movie theater would.
• Your kids’ favorite snacks are a must – popcorn, Skittles and juice boxes are great for a movie night.
• For added fun, let the kids pick out the movie or have a raffle to see what movie wins.
You can sign up for Redbox emails or texts and possibly score a free rental. Visit Redbox.com and scroll to the bottom to sign up for text alerts and emails. You can also borrow DVD’s from friends or stream one on Netflix or Amazon Prime if you have accounts.
6. Go to the Zoo. Just like Museums, your local zoo usually has a free zoo day. My local zoo is free the first Sunday of every month. Just google “free zoo day in” then your city name, and it should come up.
7. Try a Free Workshop for Kids! Your local Home Depot, Lowes and Michaels stores often have free Kids Workshops. Check their websites for the schedules. These are always fun and kids get to keep what they make.
So as you can see, it’s pretty easy to have family fun with very little or even no funds. To save money, all you need to do is show a little creativity and offer your family alternatives to the typical activities that cost an arm and a leg. You’ll save money while still allowing your family to have a very good quality time.
What sort of fun free or frugal activities do you do with your children?This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here