This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure for more information.
Money Saving Challenge For Kids Game!
You want your kids to be good with money, you want them to learn how to save right?
I’ve always been a “saver” and I distinctly remember being a young girl and saving in my piggy bank and being so happy about it. I don’t even remember what I was saving for but I just wanted to save.
There was just something about having my own money that satisfied me (even if it was just a few dollars and some change as a kid).
I wanted to bring the fun back to saving money so I created a Money Saving Challenge Game for Kids.
I created rules for it but you can play however you want. You can download the free game printables at the end of this post.
Have fun and share your ideas and thoughts in the comments.
Related posts you may also like:
- Money Apps for Kids and Parents
- When Should You Start Teaching Kids About Money
- The Best Money Books for Parents and Kids
How the Money Saving Challenge Game Works
1. Set a goal to save for. It could be anything (Toy, Vacation, Give to Charity etc).
A great way to keep the kids motivated is to print out a photo of the goal. A picture that shows the goal will keep your child motivated.
If the goal is Disney you can print out a picture of the castle or Mickey Mouse etc. I suggest starting with a smaller goal to get them to the finish line faster and then strive for larger goals.
You may even find that they are not so quick to spend money they earned and that they want to save it longer for something else.
2. Cut out the money squares in the amount of the goal and put them in a jar or box.
You want the squares to add up to the amount you want to save up so you know you reached your goal when all the squares are gone.
I created a few different money square printables with amounts starting at just $.50.
You can print each card out as many times as you like to get the amount you need for your goal.
3. Find two containers. A jar or piggy bank for the money to go in each week and one for the game pieces.
Any Jar or even a bowl or piggy bank will work. One will be filled with all the squares with money amounts on them and the other to put the money in.
4. Each week have your child or children pick out a square and they have to put that amount into the Piggy Bank.
Now the money should be from doing chores or helping mom and dad out etc. If you’re just handing them money to put in the bank it won’t really teach them. You want them to be using their hard-earned money.
After all, when they become adults they will be using their hard earned money to buy things and you want them to think twice about spending it.
5. If you get a “Mom Picks” Mom will have to pick and deposit. If you get a “Dad Picks” then Dad will have to pick and deposit their own money (fun bonus for the kiddos)
6. Don’t like these rules? Make up your own and have fun!
Feel free to adjust the rules or make up your own! I wanted to create something fun that doesn’t cost you anything.
7. Download your printables below! Fill in your name and email and I’ll send your free Money Saving Challenge Game Printables to your inbox!
Free Money Saving Challenge Printables for Kids!
Plus a Free Kids and Money E-Course delivered right to your inbox!